Thanksgiving is a wonderful time to remember the things you are thankful for in your life. This year, why not add your healthy smile to the list? Here at Pedar B. Didriksen DDS Family and Cosmetic Dentistry in Ocean Pines, Maryland, we understand how hard it can be to keep your smile healthy during the holiday season. That is why our staff as provided some excellent tips to keep your smile in wonderful shape this holiday season.
Here are five tips to help you keep great oral health this Thanksgiving:
1. Drink plenty of water: Water essential to our bodies. However, many people do not realize the important effect it has on our oral health. Water flushes out food particles and other acid or bacteria away from your teeth.
2. Avoid long-term candy: Candy, sweets, or sticky foods we suck on or chew for long periods of time, will keep food particles in your mouth that can stick to your teeth causing cavities. By avoiding these foods, you can help yourself avoid cavities.
3. Eat desserts or sweets with your meal: When you eat, saliva in your mouth cancels out the acids in your mouth. This is important because eating your desserts with your meals will keep your saliva production flowing.
4. Brush your teeth: Most of us know we should brush our teeth daily. However, by brushing your teeth twice a day for at least two minutes each time you brush, you can reduce plaque and bacteria on your teeth, which causes cavities and gum disease.
5. Floss your teeth: Flossing is not always fun for everyone. However, it is essential to your oral health. Flossing cleans where your toothbrush cannot reach. Flossing also removes food and plaque stuck between your teeth, so you can avoid cavities and gum disease.
If you still have questions about your oral care, call us today at 410-208-2900. Our staff is happy to help you achieve a healthy and beautiful smile you always wanted. On behalf of our team here at Pedar B. Didriksen DDS Family and Cosmetic Dentistry, we wish you a happy Thanksgiving.